New Toronto express bus services include Humber routes
Curious commuters were brought to a standstill Thursday morning at the Kipling station bus terminal as mayor John Tory, TTC chair Josh Colle and councillor members officially announced several new express bus services.
The routes will be expanding across the city with two of them traveling directly to Humber campuses. The following are the recent additions:
- 188 Kipling South Rocket, Kipling to Lake Shore Boulevard (Humber Lakeshore Campus)
- 186 Wilson Rocket, York Mills to Humber College North Campus
- 199B Finch Rocket, York University to Scarborough Centre Station via Finch Station
- 199C Finch Rocket, Finch Station to Moringside Heights
- 24E Victoria Park Express, Victoria Park Station to Steeles Avenue
“We really have introduced an unprecedented level of new service” for the city said Colle. All of which was made possible by the purchase of new buses approved in the TTC budget by council, he said.
The five new express buses cost about $500 million. Tory called it a ‘great investment’.
“Reliable transit service is fundamental to building a stronger, more prosperous [city],” said Tory.
The new plans will also resurrect bus routes ‘cut by previous administration’.
Also in an effort to get the city moving faster, parking fines will triple beginning March 31.
While some people believe the fine increase to $150 is a city cash grab, Tory said it is key to reducing congestion and delays in Toronto.
Tory hopes “fewer people decide they’re going to be selfish” by parking illegally and blocking transit routes and busy roads.