By Christine Tippett
In the wake of the Paris attacks that killed 129 people and injured 350 more, there were a number of major developments Tuesday:
A massive manhunt is under way for one of the eight attackers, 26-year-old Salah Abdeslam. He is believed to have fled France and crossed the border into his native Belgium, media reports.
According to reports, police searched two hotel rooms rented by Abdeslam in Paris and found syringes that may have been used to make the explosive vests. Police also found pizza boxes and other materials being tested for explosives such as tubes. The rooms were occupied two nights leading up to Friday’s attacks.
A car with Belgian license plates rented by Abdeslam was also found earlier Tuesday on the north side of the city, according to CNN.
France carries out raids
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said France has mobilized 115,000 police and military across the country, according to BBC.
Cazeneuve added 128 raids on suspected Islamist militant locations had been carried out overnight Monday across the country. More than 160 raids were made earlier Monday and police took 23 people into custody, placed 104 people under house arrest and seized dozens of weapons, including rocket launchers and firearms.
France and Russia carried out airstrikes in Syria overnight.
Suspects in Germany
Seven people were arrested in Germany earlier Tuesday in connection to the attacks, according to German police.
The first series of arrests took place outside a job centre in the small town of Alsdorf near the city of Aachen, situated close to Germany’s border with Belgium and the Netherlands. One man and two women were taken into custody.
Later on Tuesday police arrested two more people in Alsdorf after officers investigated a residential building.
German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the people arrested did not appear to be directly linked to the Paris attacks. The Associated Press cited police as having received a tip that one of the suspects might have been Abdeslam.
As of 1:30 p.m., all seven suspects were to be released.
France, Russia cooperation
Media reports stated that Russian President Vladimir Putin and French President Francois Hollande had a phone conversation regarding the ongoing anti-terrorism operations.
“The two leaders paid special attention to stepping up bilateral and multilateral cooperation to counter international terrorism,” the Kremlin said. “It was agreed to ensure closer contacts and coordination between the two countries’ military agencies and special services in the course of anti-terrorist operations conducted by Russia and France in Syria.”
The two leaders are due to meet in Moscow on Nov. 26.
The world continues to mourn
People around the world continue to mourn the victims of the Paris attacks.
In Brussels, members of the European Parliament observed a minute of silence to pay tribute to victims.
In New York, members of the United Nations General Assembly stood during a moment of silence to pay their respects for the loss of lives in the cities of Ankara, Baghdad, Beirut and Paris at the UN headquarters.
In London, Prince William, accompanied by The Duchess of Cambridge, signed the book of condolences for the victims of the attacks at the French Embassy.
Canadian among injured in attacks
A Foreign Affairs spokesperson says a Canadian was among those injured during the attacks, and Canadian consular officials in Paris are in contact with the family and providing assistance. The woman is a dual Canada-U.S. citizen.
According to the BBC, French Health Minister Marisol Touraine said 57 people injured on Friday are still in intensive care across Paris and a total of 221 people still require hospital treatment.