Halloween Safety Tips
By Aabida Dhanji
With halloween tonight, here’s a list of tips to stay safe. Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu of Toronto Police Services and Spokesperson of CAA, Silvana Aceto gave Humber News some great tips for parents and drivers.
Tips for Parents of Trick or Treaters:
1. Make sure treat bags are lightly coloured for visibility, also decorate them with reflective tape.
2. Put strips of reflective tape on front and back of costumes to make them visible for drivers.
3. Ensure children’s costumes do not drag on the ground.
4. Shoes should be well-fitted and sturdy.
5. Provide children with neighbourhood boundaries for trick or treating.
6. Set a curfew for trick or treaters.
7. Remind children to use sidewalks and be cautious and look both ways when crossing the street.
8. Tell children to only go to homes they know.
9. Go to houses with lights on.
10. Children should not go into any homes.
11. Replace masks with make-up, so they have a clear view.
12. Avoid dark-coloured costumes.
13. Accompany children while trick or treating.
Tips for Drivers:
1. Keep speed at or below the posted speed limit.
2. Scan the road for children attempting to cross the street.
3. Be alert in residential areas; watch out for children.
4. Use your headlights.
5. Give yourself extra time to get to your destination.
6. Slow down.
7. Pay attention and be prepared to stop at any time.
8. Avoid distractions when you are behind the wheel.
9. Watch sidewalks when backing out or turning.