City council approves bar and restaurant restrictions

Published On October 6, 2020 | By Jayvon Mitchum | COVID-19, News
Toronto's city council have approved the new restrictions on bars and restaurants.

Toronto’s city council have approved the new restrictions on bars and restaurants. (https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/council)

Jayvon Mitchum

Toronto city council has approved their plan to add more restrictions to bars and restaurants, which was raised by Toronto’s medical officer of health last week.

The vote was unanimous towards the plan that the councillors had set from the beginning of this week, to combat the spread of COVID cases within the GTA.

“The measures approved will help to increase safety for workers, customers and all Torontonians,” Councillor Joe Cressy said.

This has come in response towards jumps within COVID-19 cases, reaching over 500-700 last week in Ontario.

The proposal is only set for the bars and restaurants in the city. According to Toronto council’s news release, these are the new restrictions that are set for everyone to follow:

  • Each customer now has to log in their contact information before entering and tables can only have up to 6 guests at once.
  • The total amount of people within a bar or restaurant is now 75, limited to what it used to be which was 100.
  • Places that play background music cannot be higher than the level of normal conversation, with the release stating that it’s for the prevention of people breaking rules to speak closer to each other.

The added rules are set on top of last week’s restrictions that Premier Doug Ford had placed, resulting in the establishments to stop serving alcohol by 11 p.m., closing establishments at midnight and ordering all strip clubs to be closed immediately.

He has also stated in a press conference last Thursday that he wouldn’t rule out any further restrictions if restaurants don’t follow the recent health code procedures.

“Everything is on the table,” Ford said. “We just want everyone to follow the guidelines. I just want to try and help these restaurant owners.”

Some citizens are concerned about the change, while people like 24 year-old Mark Abiva from Etobicoke, understand why this move is being made.

“With COVID expanding, it’s a good decision from the council to make. It could help us hopefully stop the second wave that everyone is talking about,” he said.

The new amendments will be going into effect Oct. 8.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *