Timeline: How the World Health Organization responded to COVID-19

Published On June 10, 2020 | By Abhinav Mendhe | COVID-19, News
The World Health Organization has recommended the use of face masks to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. (Prachatai/Flickr)
Abhinav Mendhe

The World Health Organization announced more than 136,000 new COVID-19 cases around the world on Sunday, the most reported in one day so far during the pandemic.

More than seven million cases of the novel coronavirus have been reported to WHO, which have resulted in 400,000 deaths, said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

The virus originated in Wuhan, China, in late 2019 and has since spread throughout the world.

Some of the hardest hit countries include China, Italy, Spain and the U.S.

Peru and Brazil have also emerged in recent weeks as epicentres of COVID-19.

Updated numbers from the Canadian Press show Canada has recorded more than 96,000 cases of coronavirus and almost 8,000 deaths.

The majority of active cases are located in Quebec and Ontario, particularly in the GTA which remains on lockdown as restrictions are loosened across the rest of the province.

WHO said it is closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 and updating its health and safety guidelines.

The agency has made a number of announcements since Dec. 31, 2019, when it was informed of a pneumonia-like disease in Wuhan, China.

A timeline of these announcements can be seen in the timeline below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *