Suspect arrested after 2 suspicious package shut down Broadview station two days in a row

Mar 19, 2019 | News

Suspect in connection to suspicious package at Broadview Station. (Toronto Police Service/News release)

Kettelia Wright

Toronto Police made an arrest on Tuesday in connection with the suspicious package that caused Broadview Station to close two days in a row.

“Currently there is one person in custody. The person was described as a person of interest yesterday. He’s since been charged in relation to both, so he’s believed to be responsible for both the incidents,” Const. Allyson Douglas-Cook said.

It’s confirmed that Kamal Badri, 53, is now in custody and has been charged with two counts of Public Mischief. He’s scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday at 2 p.m., at College Park Court.

It’s been two days of frustration for TTC customers. At 6:15 a.m. on Tuesday Broadview station was closed to all bus, subway, and streetcar service, and the building was evacuated during the morning rush, after the discovery of another suspicious package.

“Similar to yesterday we called in a specialist from our CBRN unit, who were brought in to assess the package and determine weather or not it was a cause for concern. In the meantime Broadview Station was closed to the surrounding roadways, while the team investigated,” Douglas-Cook said.

Shortly after 9 a.m. all buses, Trains, and streetcars resumed normal service. “It’s been determined that there is no cause for concern for public safety and the area is now safe,” Douglas-Cook said.

The station shutdown came just 24 hours after a suspicious package shut down the same station for five-hours in the morning on Monday. TTC spokesperson Stewart Green said the same CBRN team analyzed the package and determined that it wasn’t a threat to public safety.

TTC customers were not happy about the shutdown as it interfered with their travel plans.

“People are frustrated whenever services are interrupted and we understand that. When we explain that the safety comes first, they understand that and they generally realize that police have to do their work. Rather than risk public safety we have to take these steps,” Green said.

There were no injuries reported for both incidents.