Massacre in Las Vegas leaves 59 people dead
By: Daniel Caudle and Ed Hitchins
Two Canadians have been killed, and two have been injured following the deadliest mass shooting in U.S history which left 58 people dead and over 515 people injured in Las Vegas.
According to police a 28-year-old Alberta woman and a 25-year-old man from B.C. were among the victims, with two people from Manitoba sustaining injuries.
Police identified 64-year-old Steven Paddock as the lone gunman in the attack. He opened fire on a country music concert from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel.
Las Vegas police and SWAT units ascended to the floor where they believe the gunman killed himself before police arrived. Upon entering the hotel room police found over ten rifles and at least one machine gun, according to a law enforcement official.
U.S President Donald Trump made a brief statement at the White House and said that he would be visiting Las Vegas to meet with the first responders and the victims families.
“Our nation is heartbroken. We mourn with all whose loved ones were murdered and injured in last nights horrible tragedy in Vegas, Nevada, said Trump. “Hundreds of our fellow citizens are now mourning the loss of a loved one. We cannot fathom their pain or imagine their loss. To the families of the victims we are praying for you, and here for you, said Trump. “I will be visiting Las Vegas to visit the first responders and the families. In moments of horror and tragedy America comes together as one.”
Steven Paddock is a resident of Las Vegas and police say he acted alone. They are however looking for someone who is a “person of interest” who police believe may be female.
Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval held a press conference to express his remorse for the victims, and his condolences to those who lost a loved one. “I don’t have words to describe what we’re going through, said Sandoval. “We are angry, we are grieving, we are confused, people are hurting.”
The gunfire erupted in the middle of a set by country musician Jason Aldean’s. Aldean was performing at the Route 91 Harvest Music festival which had drawn a crowed of over 22,000 people.
Las Vegas police executed a search warrant of Paddock’s home in the city of Mesquite, located 80 miles north of Las Vegas.
Police said the saw no movement inside the house located in a retirement community where Haddock lived with 62 year old Marilou Danley.
Paddock’s brother gave an interview to CBS News “He’s my brother, he was a guy. He gambled and was nice to my kids when they went out to Vegas. My kids didn’t know him that well or anything, he lives on the other coast.”
Earlier on Monday President Trump tweeted his condolences to the victims.
My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2017
Words fail this morning. The friendship & support of Canadians is with the victims in Las Vegas & the people of the US.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) October 2, 2017
Michelle & I are praying for the victims in Las Vegas. Our thoughts are with their families & everyone enduring another senseless tragedy.
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) October 2, 2017
Las Vegas blood donor clinics were full overnight as a surge of people willing to donate blood poured into the clinics. The line to donate blood included hundreds of people, with wait times being five hours to donate blood.
Other residents offered their support by brining blankets and water bottles. A GoFundMe page has been set up by Steve Sisolak from the Clark County Commission Chair of las Vegas. The campaign has raised over one hundred thousand dollars. More to come.