Shooting at US Naval facility in Washington D.C.

Published On September 16, 2013 | By | News

A shooting occurred at the Washington Naval Yard early this morning. SOURCE: US Navy

by Erica Vella, Xiaoli Li

 

President Barack Obama has condemned the shooting that took place earlier this morning at a navy facility in the Washington D.C. area as a “cowardly” act. “We are confronting another mass shooting,” Obama said in a press conference, earlier today. He offered his gratitude to members of the navy, first responders, and authorities, and said “we stand with the families.”

Through a series of tweets, the Navy has confirmed that several people are injured, and some have died. A senior naval official has told members of the press that at least one shooter is dead, and two shooters may still be active.

A US navy press release says the shooting started at the Washington Naval Yard’s Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters, and was first reported at 8:20 a.m.

 

UPDATE: Law enforcement officials have confirmed the identity of the shooter as Aaron Alexis, a former US Navy reservist, and subcontractor.  Alexis is dead after a clash with law enforcement yesterday.  Law enforcement now believe Alexis was working alone and that there were no additional shooters.

 

The following two tabs change content below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *