Compiled by Kaite Boivin
Following a push for more UN sanctions, led by the United States, North Korea is threatening to cancel the ceasefire, which ended the Korean War over half a century ago.
The statement came from North Korea’s Korean People’s Army Supreme Command Tuesday, as the U.S. and China reportedly agreed on a draft of sanctions for a UN Security Council resolution condemning the North’s recent nuclear tests, CBC News reported.
The draft, expected to be circulated at the UN this week, comes specifically in response to North Korea’s Feb. 12 nuclear test.
The statement warned that on March 11 the North will terminate the armistice agreement, dating back to 1953, with China, the U.S. and South Korea.
The statement also said Pyongyang will block a communications line between them and the U.S at the border village separating the North and the South.
In the statement it said the threats are in response to the ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills that began last Friday.
Threats like this one have been increasing in past weeks, aimed towards the U.S. and South Korea.
Prior to its last nuclear test, North Korea warned it would be going ahead with the test and that missiles would be equipped with warheads aimed towards the U.S.
Last month the North also warned that South Korea risks “final destruction” if it goes forward with UN meetings, CTV News reported.
China, North Korea’s closest ally, has released concern on Pyongyang’s recent threats and backs the U.N.
“We have said here many times that China supports the UN Security Council in reacting moderately and explicitly objects to North Korea’s nuclear test,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Hua Chunying said at her daily media briefing in Beijing on Tuesday, the Washington Post reported.
North Korea said its nuclear program is in response to hostility from the U.S. as a result of the Korean war, which began in 1950 and ended in an armistice leaving the Korean peninsula still technically in a state of war.